Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Week 5 - Wikis - Discover and Learn

It has been another interesting learning experience - I am looking forward to contributing my own thoughts onto a wiki - but first I am going to report on how great the YouTube video Wikis in Plain English is - this guy does a fabulous job in explaining Learning 2.0 concepts extremely well - so well that I believe our library customers would benefit from viewing these 3-4 minute videos on Learning 2.0. Thus I believe it is not only library staff that would benefit but also our library customers - I'm sure there are a vast majority of library customers that have more knowledge about RSS, wikis etc than some of us library staff; however, there are probably many more customers that would love to know as they've heard about it, seen others using these 'technologies' but just don't know who, where, how, why...

I also looked at Library Success Wiki Overview and I kept clicking on the right arrow of 'Wiki Way' to interesting pages of How Libraries can Use and then of course How Librarians Can Use Wikis for Knowledge Sharing and Collaboration and upon clicking this, I immediately thought of the NSW RA Wiki - the knowledge sharing and collaboration for our service of RA!!!

Discover:
For this exercise, I clicked on the following:
SJCPL Subject Guides Wiki
This wiki looks slightly different to the other wikis that I've viewed thus far. I attempted to click on Random Page in the navigation panel on the left; however, the page did not display - I then selected 'Browse by Category' and then selected Hobbies which gave me several options that I investigated including Genealogy and Travel. Many of the pages offered hyperlinks to the library catalogue - one option for libraries to incorporate into their wikis...

Library Success: a best practices Wiki
I must say the format of this wiki looks familiar and I could see the benefits of utilising some of the information sharing tools of this wiki in my library - funnily enough I have been thinking of some marketing ideas for our library and immediately investigated 'Programs for Adults' Programs for Adults as well as investigating the Programs for Children. Although libraries have their programs in place, and many of them successful, it is always interesting to see what other libraries are doing - as their successful programs may also be successful in your library! Just look at how many libraries celebrated Library Lovers Day in their special way - and it seems all of them were successful. It is often suggested to share, collaborate rather than reinvent the wheel - I wonder if our education of copyright/plagiarism has anything to do with people being resistant to share???
I clicked on the Random Page and discovered Communications - Internal and External which enabled me to click Libraries with Blogs - Welcome to the Blogging Libraries Wiki (The purpose of this wiki is to collect links to library blogs).
Having done a variety of displays/promotions in our library, I also clicked on Promotions and discovered a link for the best public relations and marketing materials in libraries through the Best of Show competition Example of 2007 Best of Show Winners in Flickr.
Under the heading of Marketing, I noticed the link to IFLA Success Stories Database - this caught my eye as our library was added following our successful partnership with the local radio station - the record is at IFLA Record Detail
Another Marketing link which caught my eye was YouTube Book Trailers - a very novel idea!!!
There are just so so so many links to investigate.....note to self - come back to this wiki!!!

Next I visited Book Lovers Wiki - Princeton Library
I found this wiki self-explanatory and it is interesting to note in the thank you the team acknowledging their library administration for "...believing in the idea of using a wiki in this way and allowing us the opportunity to experiment and learn about new technologies with our community.
The library staff, dedicated volunteers and the brave summer reading club participants who took the time to learn about wikis and contributed reviews and other content to the wiki..." - it shows the enthusiasm of a group of people and the support of their management can enable fantastic ideas to become a reality!

I also clicked on Wookieepedia and discovered the Star Wars wiki - interesting to note there are 55 771 articles since 4 March 2005 - I could imagine another user quickly amending entries should they believe another contributor has made an error!

Anyway, I am going to begin exploring wikis now!!!!

No comments: