Sunday, February 24, 2008

Learning 2.0

Firstly, how opportune for NSWPLN to officially launch Learning 2.0 - my library saw the need to create an Emerging Technology team to investigate all things 2.0 and we are all going to officially register and investigate so that we can encourage all of the staff at our library to participate.

We held our first meeting in December last year and from that, I went home and created a blog on Blogger so that I could keep track of what I learn etc. And here I am in 2008 able to do exactly that with Learning 2.0 - fantastic!

There are some very interesting technologies in existence - such as Skype and CALL - and Second Life - well what can I say? Then there are 43 things and 5 weeks to a social library and del.ici.ous and it just goes on and on....

I recently did the Enneagram and for the most part of me, I am deemed an Enthusiast...and when I mentioned that upon my return to my library, others tended to agree - yes, bring on the new toys and new technologies....us Enthusiasts like new shiny things and it is very important for library staff (I believe) to know or at the very least, have an understanding of the new and emerging technologies. Stephen Fry spoke about lost moments in his video during Week 1 - well, if library staff don't continually learn (and learning can be fun!), then there could be many lost moments...we can't afford to 'miss out'....

I feel that blogs are probably one of the easiest things for a library to set up - some people may feel that they take up too much time as they need to be regularly updated to keep the interest...there's one member of staff at my library that loves reading but would not participate in a Reading Group (or whatever a library would call their group) as it's just not his thing - however, when I mentioned about an Online Book Club for Men (even as a blog), he said that he would be interested in that....I think one of the first blogs I saw was for insideadog (or website but it was aimed specifically at young people - anyway, I'm attempting to include the link - it'll be interesting whether it works... http://www.insideadog.com.au/ ) and it certainly had the wow factor for me - a brilliant idea that if only.....so absolutely, I can see a use for blogs inside the library - and several types - eg RA, Local History, Young People, Online Book Club for Men (or anybody), etc. I can see libraries aiming to have blogs for children/parents and youth, for readers and perhaps Local History - I wonder if any would bite the bullet and aim to have a blog for their older customers? Would they feel that their 'older customers' would not be interested in blogs - what if the blog taught the older customers how to do some of the new technologies available? Just as we are learning 2.0????

Anyway, I've ranted and raved for too long now - I am looking forward to learning lots of new things - how many things? Hopefully lots!

2 comments:

NoFlippinIdea said...

Course sign up and blog registration
Creating a blog is a requirement for completing the NSW Public Libraries Learning 2.0 course. Click here to register for the program and to log your blog. WARNING If you skip this step you will not receive feedback, or any acknowledgement for completing the program.

After completing my first post, I officially registered for the program

Elaine said...

Um...that's interesting. Some libraries have blogs aimed at younger people but there are hardly any blogs aimed at the senior level. Maybe it's because of our mindset that the elderly would a) would not be able to read the tiny writings on the screen b) they do not know how to use the technology c) do not have access to the internet? there are probably more reasons to these as well. But we probably need to change our mindset as the population is aging and alot more people are retiring and have more time on their hands to learn about the new technology and read what is available on the internet and access the services available in the library. Interesting. Thanks for bringing that up! It's food for thought. I might refer to that in my blog as well.....if you don't mind http://medessa.blogspot.com

Good luck in Library 2.0!

Elaine